This blog has officially moved to Wordpress! You can find the latest posts at www.blueeyebooks.com. Redirect coming soon!

Friday, August 29, 2014

Book Review Friday: Waterfall by Lisa T. Bergren


Goodreads Blurb:
"What do you do when your knight in shining armor lives, literally, in a different world?

Most American teenagers want a vacation in Italy, but the Betarrini sisters have spent every summer of their lives among the romantic hills with their archaelogist parents. Stuck among the rubble of the medieval castles in rural Tuscany, on yet another hot, dusty archaeological site, Gabi and Lia are bored out of their minds...until Gabi places her hand atop a handprint in an ancient tomb and finds herself in fourteenth-century Italy. And worse yet, in the middle of a fierce battle between knights of two opposing forces.

Suddenly Gabi's summer in Italy is much, much more interesting."



Review:
This is an amazing example of how you should never judge a book by its cover.  I picked this up for a Goodreads challenge where I had to read a book that started with W.  I was expecting a mediocre book that I would have a hard time getting through.  How wrong I was!

I haven't read many time travel books except for the Precious Stone Trilogy(Ruby Red series) by Kerstin Gier.  Well let me rephrase this.  I didn't actually realize that this was a time travel book.  I didn't even read the description until halfway through the book *shrugs*.  So there you go - no expectations whatsoever.

In the beginning, it was a little slow but it soon picked up around the 30 page mark.  After that, things got interesting.  I knew right away that Lia and Gabi had traveled through time so I was mentally shouting at Gabi to just figure it out already.  I guess that's what kept me reading - was seeing how she would deal with this and how they would get back home.

It did get a bit confusing in places, especially the battles.  Everything seemed to blur together and I would have to read the scene a few times to know exactly what took place.  I also wish there would have been more information on her family and their history but this is a series so maybe in the next book!

Everything else was absolutely amazing!  I loved the dilemma at the end and Gabi's romance.  I loved how once she figured it out, she fit right in!  I also loved how passionate she was about saving Lia.  The general plotline was amazing - it kept me reading right up until the last page!  And of course, I loved how Gabi and Lia weren't helpless.  Their dad had taught Gabi and Lia fencing and archery respectably so they were actually able to help and be formidable forces in the coming battles.

Final Verdict:
A very well written story with an amazing plotline, main characters, and hard decisions to make!  It did get a little slow in the beginning and a bit confusing in some parts.  I can't wait to read the rest of the series and see how things turn out!
4 stars


Quotes:
“Courage is not the absence of fear, but the decision that something is more important than fear.” 


“I nodded, pretending to be a hundred times more courageous than I felt.
But that was the thing about courage. Sometimes you had to fake it to feel it.” 


“I finally meet a guy who's interesting and who seems to have a half-interest in me and it is TOTALLY the wrong time and place.” 


“Don't you agree? Swordplay is a dance of sorts, an understanding of the logical, most sophisticated next step. Except that in a fight, one must take the unexpected step. In dance it is all about taking the right, expected step.” 


“I am here for a reason. This is no haphazard mistake. What good can I do with what I have?” 


“Sometimes the heart tells us to venture where the mind fears to tread.” 


“We all have freedom of choice. Over and over again, minute by minute. How will you live your life? For yourself Or for others? For something good? For love? Love.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...