This blog has officially moved to Wordpress! You can find the latest posts at www.blueeyebooks.com. Redirect coming soon!

Monday, March 23, 2015

Review Monday: Significance by Shelly Crane


Goodreads Blurb:
"Maggie is a seventeen year old girl who's had a bad year. She was smart and on track, but then her mom left, her dad is depressed, she's graduating - barely - and her boyfriend of almost three years dumped her for a college football scholarship. Lately she thinks life is all about hanging on by a thread and is gripping tight with everything she has.

Then she saves the life of Caleb and instantly knows there's something about him that's intriguing. But things change when they touch, sparks ignite. Literally.

They imprint with each other and she sees their future life together flash before her eyes. She learns that not only is she his soul mate, and can feel his heartbeat in her chest, but there is a whole other world of people with gifts and abilities that she never knew existed. She herself is experiencing supernatural changes unlike anything she's ever felt before and she needs the touch of his skin to survive.

Now, not only has her dad come out of his depression to be a father again, and a pain as well, but Caleb's enemies know he's imprinted and are after Maggie to stop them both from gaining their abilities and take her from him.

Can Caleb save her or will they be forced to live without each other after just finding one another?"



Review:
I really liked this story although there were elements that reminded me of other books or just YA in general.  Let's get into it shall we?

I guess one of the big things is the imprinting.  On one hand, it's a cool concept that was worked very well into the plot-line.  There was a problem (albeit an explained one at that) and and it had a legitimate place.  The way Caleb and Maggie deal with it is so nice and different than what you would expect.  On the other hand, it reminded me so much of Twilight with the wolves.  I just couldn't get it out of my head even though it's a bit different in this book.

As I mentioned above, I loved how Caleb and Maggie handled being imprinted.  I just loved their relationship in general and how they never took it too fast like it could have happened.  I did find Maggie slightly annoying at times like when she thought Caleb was dead and just totally freaked out before getting herself back together.  If you're soul mates, are connected, can't go a few hours without wanting desperately to be with him (because of the bond) then don't you think you'd feel it if he had died??  I mean seriously.  So sometimes she seemed a bit dimwitted to me but I'm sure we all are at times I guess.

As for the rest of the family, I loved learning about their different abilities and how they complimented each other.  I also loved the originality of the abilities.  It wasn't just flying or super strength or super speed.  There was seeing into the future and into the past, being able to grow plants, being able to heal supernatural wounds and a whole bunch of others that I'm forgetting.

I also really liked how the author kept the story and problem small for this first, introductory book.  She kept it to defeating a close enemy and didn't jump right to the whole imprinting problem.

The Final Verdict:
A very well written story that kept me glued to my kindle.  There was a little similarity to Twilight that got to me however.  I loved all the characters although Maggie got on my nerves a bit.
4 stars


Quotes:
“You don’t love people for what they can give you. You don’t love them because of what they do for you or how good you make them look. Love is blind, love does not boast, love is not vain.”


“Because you are my significant, my soul mate. And I'm yours.” 


“It's my job as best friend to make sure he's not a serial killer. Or an English major, not sure which one's worse.” 


“If this was Harry Potter, he'd definitely be in Slytherin” 


“It wasn't long before I had the urge to glance inside. I then had a slight moment of panic. Number one, Big John was walking out the door with a meat cleaver gleaming in his hand. Yes, a meat cleaver.
Number two, he was glaring at Caleb like he was the devil himself.” 



“I'm not a baker so I'm not about to sugar coat it for you.” 


“I'll always come for you. I'll always find you.” 

2 comments:

  1. I got this one on my tablet because it was free, so I'm really glad you liked it! Great review :)

    ~Cari @ My Addiction: Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! I'd seen it on a bunch of other people's blogs and saw it was free and thought what the heck! Thanks :D

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...